Monday, May 5, 2008

First Forest Wildflowers are Blooming

The purple, or red, trillium (T. erectum) are starting to bloom. This is one of my favorite flowers, possibly because it is one of the first to put in an appearance after a long cold winter. I noticed my first blossoms yesterday as I headed out with a group of students from the University of Delaware for an ethnobotanical trail walk. It was chilly and rainy, but we were greeted first thing by the trillium in bloom, so I took it as a good sign for the walk (which went very well).

This morning I also noticed the first pussytoes (Antennaria neglecta) in bloom (or just about in bloom and probably open now after a day of sunshine and warmth). These have got to be one of my all-time favorite flowers. I love the name and I love the flower (sadly no photo since the camera lives at work and the flowers live at the other end of town). Look them up though - you will see they are very aptly named. More on these flowers to come since it is closing time and I must depart.

No comments:

Post a Comment