Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day Musings

This Mother's Day, while thinking of my own mother, I thought it was appropriate to also extend my thoughts to our Mother Earth as well, without whom none of us would be here.

The Mohawks have a wonderful Thanksgiving Address that everyone should hear at least once. I have been fortunate to hear it in both the Mohawk language as well as in English, at a tree planting ceremony overseen by Jake Swamp (Tekaronianeken), who among other things is the founder of the Tree of Peace Society. He's also published a wonderful children's book based on the Thanksgiving Address. I highly recommend it to everyone, regardless of age. Today is a good day for that address, to give thanks to Mother Earth for all she has done for us.

******************

The ruby-throated hummingbirds are back. I saw one yesterday buzz by my rhododendrons, no doubt looking for some food. I immediately went inside and brewed up a batch of nectar (1c sugar to 4c boiling water), resurrected the feeders, and placed them all outside. By mid-afternoon the hummers were buzzing all about the yard and sipping nectar from the feeders. Their arrival never seems to coincide with the right plants blooming. I guess it's a good thing they also eat insects and spiders!

And since the bluebirds have arrived (although I've only seen the one and that was last Tuesday), I suppose it is time for me to start weekly checks on the nestbox trail. I have a bluebird workshop next Sunday, so I need to brush up on that as well.

One final thought for the day. Awareness. It is amazing just how unaware we are in our daily activities. For instance, what color are the eyes of the last person with whom you spoke? What phase is the moon in right now? From where you are sitting right now, which direction is north? What is the largest item on your immediate left (without looking)? I've recently started a wilderness awareness course and have discovered that while I know things like bird ID, plant ID, basic tracking techniques, how to use a map and compass, etc., my basic awareness skills, or more accurately my observation skills, are sorely lacking!!! I suspect this is due to a life lived in routine. So, I am working on changing this, and I encourage everyone else to do so as well. Maybe this is the answer to Alzheimer's!

No comments:

Post a Comment