Monday, May 26, 2008

Latest Bloomers

Just a quickie today for those who are keeping track of the flowering schedules up here.

Now open, in a central Adirondack woodland near you: starflowers (Trientalis borealis) and foamflower (Tiarella cordifolia).

Coming soon: Canada mayflower (Maianthemum canadense), Solomon's seal (Polygonatum spp.), and false Solomon's seal (Smilacina racemosa).

And on the bird front: one of "my" nest boxes on the golf course has a chickadee nesting in it with EIGHT eggs!!! Looks like a bluebird may be using one of the boxes, a wren another one, and a red squirrel in a fourth. The remaining boxes are all empty.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know a chickadee could have 8 eggs- incredible! I have baby chickadees right now at the cabin but I haven't been able to count them yet. Every time I go to the box - mom seems to be present.

    ReplyDelete