Saturday, May 14, 2011

What's Wrong with GMOs?

I may not have a gardening blog now (but I will once more, once my life settles down), but I still think it is important to share information about our food, where it comes from, and just what is in it.

For several years, I've been an advocate for non-GMO foods (GMOs are Genetically Modified Organisms).  Many proponent of GM foods claim that these plants are really no different than plants from seeds that have been bred over generations to select for specific traits, except they've done it faster by splicing in genes at the molecular level.

Somehow, though, I find it hard to believe that Round-Up, a potent herbicide, could be bred into plants without some sort of molecular tampering - it isn't a natural product that would occur in a plant via mutation or through cross-breeding by humans.

Ditto certain fish genes I've heard are now in plants.

If you don't believe that GM foods are something to be avoided, read this article from the Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Company.  It will open your eyes and raise your hackles.

1 comment:

  1. It's hardly surprising that folks would get sick from eating plants whose natural toxicity has been boosted by genetic finagling. Geez!

    ReplyDelete