Saturday, August 29, 2009

The Early Risers

When I went out to measure the amount of rain we had last night (0.77"), I found a bee hunkered down behind a soggy hollyhock flower.


Looking around the garden, I found two more,


and a moth!


It sort of reminded me of the stories you hear of folks camping out at ticket boothes or stores waiting to be the first in line to get tickets for the greatest show on earth or the latest popular toy.

I wonder if these insects simply got caught out in the rain and cooler temps and "froze" in place, or if it was a "choice" to hang out until morning.

1 comment:

  1. Ooh, those poor little critters look so chilly and wet. As the season moves on toward autumn and mornings grow colder, it's a great time to see -- and even handle! -- bugs that otherwise would quickly fly away. I loved your last post, too, about beautiful bumblebees. Knowing your history regarding bees, I congratulate you on learning to be comfortable around them.

    ReplyDelete