Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Playing with my New Toy, and other miscellaneous shots

I toured the Routes 28 and 28N loop this weekend. Stopped along the Hudson River to read the interpretive signage and look for photo opportunities. These bubbles were formed by the water rushing over rocks, so I tried to capture them "on film." Must've taken over 50 shots, and only about five came out without significant blurring. And look! There's a person in each bubble!

You just never know what you'll find in the woods. Is it a metal toilet? An old hardhat? Perhaps a funky hubcap?


Did you guess this is the inside of a wooden canoe? It was sitting outside a shop in Indian Lake, in the late afternoon sun, just begging to be photographed. I was happy to oblige.


Now, this is what kind of quality close-up (no cropping) you can get with a good macro lens. Yes, I bit the bullet and bought one...the urge was just too strong. But, oh, what a difference it makes! And it would be even sharper if I'd used the tripod. Ditto for the following photos.


Purple vetch flowers touched with frost.


Moss sporophyte, with operculum (the little cap underneath) still attached. Note the frost clinging to the sides of the capsule.


Frosty rosehips. Look sorta' like squids, don't they?


Monkshood with frost.


Hawkweed seed head with frost crystals. I think this is my favorite.


7 comments:

  1. What fun you are having with your new macro lens! Isn't it amazing what you can see with it? For example, I never knew rose hips were hairy. I just love those hawkweed fluffballs, they look like some kind of furry critter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, your pictures are FANTASTIC! I'd say the new lens was well worth the $$$! Thanks for sharing, they are just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the canoe shot best, but all great photos. Enjoy your new lens!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice. May I ask what camera and lens you are now using? I want to buy something new that has a stabalizer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photos, I love them! Keep practising so I can keep enjoying more photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Squirrel - It's a Nikon D90 camera, and the macro lens is a Tamron 90mm macro. The best stabilizer you can get is a GOOD tripod!

    Thank you all for the praise and encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jo, these are wonderful. I have camera envy. I'm still shooting with a simple Kodak. Unfortunately, kids come first, good quality camera is VERY last. That being said, you are a phenominal photographer and I have to agree, the last shot of the hawkweed is my favorite, although it could tie with the rosehips! I'll have to remember to share this with Ian.

    ReplyDelete