Friday, May 3, 2013

Home Plants

It was very exciting yesterday evening when I arrived home from work.  I looked over at the maple tree where the bird feeders are and saw a whole little forest of mayapples had appeared!  They hadn't been there that morning!

 

Eager to see what else had come up, I looked for the bloodroot I had planted last spring.  I had looked for it Monday, since it was all abloom over at Nan Weston, but there wasn't even a hint of a plant.  I wasn't too surprised, since the drought of last year probably took a toll on everything, but last night, I found one!


I'm so thrilled that some of my little forest plantings have taken root!  There's hope for converting this part of the yard into a little woodland garden.

 And as I look out the window here at work, I see a rose-breasted grosbeak at the birdfeeder!

Spring is rushing in now that some warm days have arrived (warm being 70s and 80s...not true spring warm of 50s and 60s - I fear that real spring weather is a thing of the past).



1 comment:

  1. How exciting!
    I planted my first Mayapple today - down on the floodplain above the creek. I imagine I'll be making frequent trips down there to watch its progress.

    ReplyDelete