Monday, May 19, 2008

May Flowers, But No Showers

Looks like May is going to be another dry month. As of today we've had a whole 0.87" of rain this month. Last year May had over 3", the year before over 6", the year before that only 1" and four years ago 5". Yep, unless we get a real soaker in the next week and a half, we'll set a record for lack of preciptation.

Still, the spring flowers are out and strutting their stuff. The following bloomers were showing off as of 14 May:


Sessile-leaved Bellwort (Uvularia sessilifolia)


Northern White Violet (Viola palens)

American Fly Honeysuckle (Lonicera canadensis)

Witch Hobble (Viburnum alnifolium)

Painted Trillium (Trillium undulatum)
Canada Mayflower (Maianthemum canadense) had some tight buds, so we may see them flowering in a week or so, depending on the weather.


In the non-flowering news, I was up bright and early today having to make a mad dash to the vet's before work (45 minute drive each way; if there are any vets out there looking for a place to set up shop, please consider Newcomb).

On the road before 7:00 AM, I had two great wildlife sightings (no moose, but still not too bad). The first was unidentifiable when it caught my eye - some amorphous blob in the middle of the road. I thought it might be a roadkilled deer. But as I drove closer, it resolved itself into two red foxes of medium size. They trotted across the remaining bit of road and disappeared into the trees.


The second, even more exciting, was a bobcat, crossing the road halfway between Long Lake and Tupper Lake. I slowed down and it sauntered across, then stopped and looked over its shoulder at my car as I rolled past. Very impressive. This was my second wild bobcat, both of which I have seen up here in the Adirondacks.


Now, if only that moose would appear...

2 comments:

  1. saw my first trilium on a mother's day hike in the southern adirondacks. it was truly a beautiful sight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed your photos! (Your header is especially beautiful.)

    ReplyDelete