Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Potentially Excited

Last Saturday as I was leaving work, I noticed a few bat scats on the pavement in front of the building. Could it be? Is it possible?

Not sure if they were last year's left-overs (if possible after the winter's snows and all that shovelling), or new this spring, I decided to wait and see.

Today I noticed there were more! YES! We have bats!! I took the bat detector out, just in case I could pick anything up, but it really is designed to pick up bat echolocation calls, not their relaxed-at-home chatter, so I wasn't disappointed to get no signals. I may have to come back one evening this week and take a listen!

Remember last year we did a baby bat rescue out front (me climbing a ladder with a box in one hand)? This is the same spot. Little brown bats (Myotis lucifugus). I wish we had the wherewithal to mist-net them and check their condition, but we don't. None-the-less, it is great to have them back in these uncertain bat survival times.

No comments:

Post a Comment