Saturday, December 26, 2009

Bibliophilia Strikes Again

Santa, baby - slip a field guide under the tree for me
Been an awful good girl, Santa, baby,
so hurry down the chimney tonight.


Santa, cutie, a '68 natural history, too, Oo-oo
And an out-of-print tome, Santa, baby
so hurry down the chimney tonight.


Think of all the fun I've missed
Thing of all the insects that I must've "dissed"
Next year I could be more knowledge'ble
If you'll check off my Christmas list (I'll be adding more books to it).


Santa, baby, I wanna lot, but never a yacht for two
Been an angel all year, Santa, baby,
So hurry down the chimney tonight.


Santa, honey, there's one more thing I really do need
A weed
Identification book
Santa, baby, so hurry down the chimney tonight.


Okay - the spoof can only go just so far, but it was fun to try and stick in something for each of my new books! Some of these I purchased for myself this month, but others were birthday and Christmas gifts.

I'm especially looking forward to putting the Guide to Common Freshwater Invertebrates to use. My dad had a copy of this book to help with his new fly-fishing hobby, and when I saw it I knew I had to have a copy, too. Think of how much more interesting I can make our aquatic studies programs at work once I can tell one stonefly nymph from another, and can relate some nifty factoids about them as well!

All of this bodes well for future blogs, too. One can never have too many reference books - that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

7 comments:

  1. Loved this blog. Nice selection of books, some look pretty familier. I went to check my shelves to make sure the elves didn't transport them up north. :-) That Weed book looks interesting. This weekend I was using the Pod book and it was very helpful considering it isn't really a field guide but we found everything in it.

    I think the Weed book will find its way into my life soon. Santa and Amazon got together and left me a nice gift.

    Have properous New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Squirrel! I think I got some of the book ideas from one of your blogs.

    The Weed book is pretty good - good pics of the plant in various stages of growth, from just seeds, to young and mature, flowers, etc. Not much in the natural history department, but once one has something identified, one can go elsewhere to find out "stuff" about it.

    Best wishes for a good New Year to you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ellen, do you have a good book to recommend for learning tracking? Trillium and I found a bear tracks last weekend and I want to learn more about reading animal signs and tracking for all seasons and right now in the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My next post is for you, Squirrel! Hope it's helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for posting about your books! I'm always on the lookout for a new guide. I like the Eric Eaton book a lot, and have the Freshwater Inverts and Weeds of the Northeast. The two older books look interesting; perhaps I'll look for a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Barefootheart - the older books are out-of-print, but there were plenty available via Amazon and Barnes & Noble - they have contacts with used book dealers, as I'm sure you know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ellen, I just received copies of Pods and Winter Search Party. Pods was 1 cent. Yes, a penny! (Plus $6.49 postage and handling) What a bargain! A lovely little book. And Winter Search Party was $9 for a copy signed by the author. Thanks again for the lead.

    ReplyDelete